#202217 :: Da'Twang '52 set in Faded Burgundy Mist :: SOLD

Found this Basswood Telecaster body on eBay selling in Germany, but I'm pretty sure it's made in China. Although, and for once, the neck cavity is absolutely fine. I still have 2 more of those 21 fret Rosewood/Roasted Maple Tele necks in stock, so I told myself that a matching headstock would be a nice touch. Merle Haggard aged pickguard in Mint Green from Pleroo, which has excellent products although made in China (or Korea? Really don't know, but I love their stuff, very accurate!).

I wasn't expecting that much on relicing the basswood because it's a soft wood, and I was pretty mad at first with the result (believe me!), but those small bits of wood coming off started to please me when I was in the middle of the relic finish. It was nice once the relic done, but it was only when I began to age the showing wood that I really felt that it was good work. I'm down to basics when it comes to it; white vinegar, dirty water, a small amount of water based wood dye, and 2 beewax coats over it once dry. The water based dye allows the white primer to stay more or less white, which looks great as a contrast.

Speaking about the neck, the back has checked nicely, specially on the back of the headstock. For the specs lovers, here we go: 21 fret, vintage type truss rod at heel, regular C profile. Thickness: 22mm on the first fret, 23,6mm on the 12th; 42,1mm for the nut width and 55,5mm for the heel width BEFORE the nitro finish; now it has 55,7mm. The fretboard radius is way less vintage than the rest, I'd say about 16"; not flat, but a lot more opened than 9,5". And finally, the machine head holes's diameter is 7,3mm, you'll have to open them a bit with a round file, that's what I do to install vintage Kluson type tuners.

This is a great set for a Bigsby Tele project since there is no routing for the bridge; Thomann sells Harley Benton Bigsby sets which seem to be good according to the reviews, and there is a Göldo horseshoe vibrato which would look great in my opinion, not expensive, but some simple routing would be needed.