#202440 :: Da'Twang hybrid Modern set in Aged Olympic White :: SOLD

Here's a slightly more modest project.

The whole thing started with a made in UK B-stock 3-pc 2,1kg Swamp Ash body. Why was it a B-stock? I couldn't tell right away. The first issue was brought to my attention when I sprayed the color; the wall of the control cavity was so thin that the humidity of the nitro itself made the wood bow completely. Well, after it dried I cut it and decide to transform a Pleroo Tele Deluxe brown tortoise pickguard to cover the damage. The pickguard neck position was designed to receive a classic Tele neck PU and the bridge routing allows a single-coil or single-coil sized pickup.

I've let it outside to dry for several days this Summer but although the nitro checking went great, the nitro was more attached/glued to the wood than usual. Too much sun maybe? The techniques I use didn't work, so I decided to make a brushed effect that you can obviously see on the pics.

I have proceeded by creating a backplate, installed a Göldo vintage hardtail bridge, string sockets, and bought the electronic parts. Inside the cavity you have a new Göldo EL02C 3-way toggle switch, new Göldo 250k A and B pots, a USED Bourns 500k pot if you decide to go for a hot rails style bridge PU, Göldo output mono jack in a Göldo JTS1C jack cup, and 70's style knobs from TAD.

From there I looked for a cheap neck with good reviews and finally bought a new 50€ neck from Muziker (Polish store I think). Surely it's made in China, but after narrowing it a bit to fit it feels nice. The 2-way truss rod works perfectly fine, I've tested it and left the neck absolutely flat.

Now the spacing for the machine heads was 122mm instead of 120mm, so the usual Kluson style machine heads were not good since they were too far apart on the back. Luckily Thomann was selling a set of 70's style Schallers for 54€ instead of 58€ since the package was already opened. Ordered them that same day and they fit like a glove!

It was when I was assembling the whole set that I have found a second issue. The neck pocket is 2mm deeper than usual. So you have 2 options: either you leave the velcro I used to create a small angle in order the strings won't be too high on the last frets, or you remove it and have to really lower the saddles to get a low action on the strings. I personnally would leave the velcro, you can barely notice there's an angle. Or you can buy a shim, yes. Three options then :)

That said, I won't really earn money on this considering the hours I've spent on it, but I didn't wanted to give up on this project and it helps me to learn how to solve problems.

Back to work, see you guys!